“Testimonials work great. Showing your reviews in quotes has a powerful effect on customers and makes them trust you.”

— Name, Title

“Testimonials work great. Showing your reviews in quotes has a powerful effect on customers and makes them trust you.”

— Name, Title

survey

experiments

Here are some experiments I did simply taking the imagery from before and providing different filters and just seeing what type of reactions I am feeling, and thinking of what type of reactions others will have. 

now what if I add text?

Add a Title
Add a Title
Add a Title
Add a Title
Add a Title
Add a Title

When adding text, I had to transfer my lens to think about what ways I can frame the narrative. With that I explored how certain phrases could completely change the narrative and feelings attained from this photo. Here is an example of a photo from the black lives matter protests. With this headline the feelings we attain from this image is going to change and sometimes even in extreme ways as shown in this image manipulation. 

Decorating easter Eggs
Decorating easter Eggs

survey

With these experiments I'm exploring how one can play with the value of truth and what that looks like. I decided to create a brief survey followed by my experiments and found that when adding certain filters different responses are activated.

For example I asked a group of people how they felt when looking at this image from the black lives matter movement in the color green, 58.3% were concerned and the other 41.7% were either confused, sick, disturbed or neutral.

Now I then presented another image in the color red and immediately the responses were altered. I found that 25% of people felt concerned and the other 75% percent either felt, anxious, frightened, angry, or afraid.

Now then I showed a different image from the movement with a combination of a red filter and added text, the responses showed that 33% was curious and the other 67% was angry, annoyed, or scared. Now I then showed the same image but cropped and with a different context and found that 25% curious, 25% scared and 50% shocked and angry. 

These results showed me how these changes affect our perception of things and certain colors or edits to a photo has the power to manipulate how we look at the image and perceive its context.

research

getting started

I began by considering how recent restorations (from black and white to color) of photographs taken

during the Civil RIghts Movement (CRM) can elevate their significance. Not only did I focus my research on

the photojournalism rendered during the CRM but furthermore the images appropriated surrounding the present Black Lives Matter movement (BLMM).  The results of the research deduced that often imagery is manipulated

by sponsors, media outlets and intermediaries to bolster biases specific to their agenda. Denying their audience of impartial content recklessly takes away the consumers privilege of forming their own authentic assessment.  

CRM Before Recolorization
CRM Before Recolorization

press to zoom
CRM After Recolorization
CRM After Recolorization

press to zoom
BLM
BLM

press to zoom
CRM Before Recolorization
CRM Before Recolorization

press to zoom
1/9

I learned that a lot of these feelings were arising because black and white photography tends to strip away reality which in result can take away a sense of time, place, and humanity. But also that the re-colorization of photos is also an act of manipulation because it can fail to show the true nature of the humans in the frame.

Sara Palin Photoshopped
Sara Palin Photoshopped

Sara Palin's face photoshopped on someone else's body.

press to zoom
Zendaya overly edited
Zendaya overly edited

Zendaya's waist, and hips were reduced to make her appear thinner than she is.

press to zoom
OJ Simpson Portrayed as Evil
OJ Simpson Portrayed as Evil

OJ Simpsons skin complexion was edited to be darker to make him appear more threatening

press to zoom
Sara Palin Photoshopped
Sara Palin Photoshopped

Sara Palin's face photoshopped on someone else's body.

press to zoom
1/3

Truth in photography

Photo manipulation becomes abusive when it meets one or more of this criteria: 

 

  1. You are presenting your manipulated imagery as reality

  2. You are manipulating imagery in order to lie to people 

  3. You are manipulating images in order to damage someone's reputation.

history of manipulation

In history there have been many instances where people altered imagery in hopes to manipulate even before photoshop existed. During the Great Purges, in the late 1930s, The Soviets found a way to erase people from images especially those of Soviet politician Joseph Stalin ‘s political opponents at the hands of the secret police. Making sure that their existence was erased from all forms of pictorial existence. And later even those of comrades he found to be disloyal were also erased as well. 

01

soviet-censorship-naval-commissar-vanish

02

This classic photo shows President Bush holding a book upside-down when visiting the George Sanchez Charter School in Houston Texas. But in fact, the photo shows signs of being digitally doctored and the original image shows the book the correct way up in his hands. 

bush-upside-down-book.jpg

03

The University of Wisconsin at Madison doctored a photograph on a brochure cover by digitally inserting a black student in a crowd of white football fans in attempts to diversify their enrollment. The original photograph of white fans was taken in 1993. The additional black student, senior Diallo Shabazz, was taken in 1994. University officials said that they couldn't find a photo that showed diversity at their school. 

uwmadison.jpg

04

This digital composite of Senator John Kerry and Jane Fonda sharing a stage at an anti-war rally emerged during the 2004 Presidential primaries as Senator Kerry was campaigning for the Democratic nomination. The picture of Senator Kerry was captured by photographer Ken Light as Kerry was preparing to give a speech at the Register for Peace Rally held in Mineola, New York, in June 1971. The picture of Jane Fonda was captured by Owen Franken as Fonda was speaking at a political rally in Miami Beach, Florida, in August 1972.

Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 1.19.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 1.20.02 PM.png

05

A photo of a kid sleeping near his deceased parents' grave in Syria turned out to be completely staged since the kid knew the photographer and the graves did not belong to his parents. 

Photograph-Showing-a-Child-in-Syria-Slee